Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Eight Fast Years

Today as I rolled through town pre-dawn on my way to work out, I thought back to where I was eight years ago at that time. Eight years and one hour ago from that moment I was holding my perfect newborn daughter. It was the best morning ever. Her coming into the world was as easy as pie, and the kind of experience that all mothers should have. I had never felt stronger or happier, and at the same time, never felt more humble and unimportant.

We were also surrounded by people who would always love her and be part of her life. Her big brother was on hand for the whole thing, her father, her aunt, and two of our best friends. Everyone who was there laughs at the way just before the last push, I asked my doctor if she’d had a chance to meet everyone. But I was that comfortable. To me, it was a party, a joyous collective moment in which we all welcomed her into our world. Eight years ago tonight, her uncle drove in to spend some time with her. It was special; everyone else had gone home and it was just she and I in the hospital. Now the father of his own beautiful baby girl, he remembered A's birthday and called her tonight so they could "catch up."

That first night we spent together, I was holding her and I sang a little something, and as tiny and new as she was, she held up her tiny head and looked at me with those amazed baby eyes. We have our moments, but we are connected in ways deeper than we may never understand.

I threw together a party cd for her birthday fete, and she asked if I had included this song. I felt bad that I hadn't but it didn't seem to be a fit for musical chairs. It's her favorite Doyle Lawson and Quicksilver tune, Four Walls, and really shows off their signature harmony singing. She's a little sad that her cute friend Jamie Daley isn't around to sing it anymore, but she still loves it nonetheless and we can't help but sing it, too. Hope you enjoy.

Four Walls

4 Comments:

At August 08, 2008 7:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remain extremely grateful that we had a daughter. If we had only boys, life would be sooo boring...(just kiddin')(Well, sort of...)

 
At August 12, 2008 8:57 PM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

I am grateful you had a daughter too! My favorite part of Irish Fest was watching Big A play with Little A. I was amazed at how your daughter just met mine where she was, right there in the moment. That is a gift in itself that will carry her far.

 
At August 12, 2008 9:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

AH, but you missed the "tragedy"!

A few seconds after this picture was taken,

http://home.woh.rr.com/brittfamily/images/doyle_family_anita.jpg

(If that don't work, click on "fearless")
John's little one and "Nita were chasing around and the little one crashed on the concrete slab that you can see over "Nita's shoulder. Rossa did a full face plant on the concrete and had a pretty nasty goose egg and scrape on her forehead. "Big A" was beyond inconsolable. It was biblical (wailing, gnashing of teeth and rending of garments.) She still gets distraught when she thinks about it. Of course, Rosa immediately bounced back, thank heavens.

I remember the time that I let Anita roll over our bed. I thought I was gonna die... then I thought her mom would kill me. I think all moms go through that.

 
At August 13, 2008 5:53 AM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

Oh no! Well, accidents do happen, and kids bounce back. The worst thing that happened like that with Little A was the way she went down the stairs when she was around 8 months old. Taught me a lot about how you should never underestimate your baby. She was waayyy in the back of her room where I was putting a box of stuff together to send to Nashville, and she was of course playing the take-it-all-out-of-the-box game. So I left her for about 30 seconds to go get more stuff and heard her heading down the stairs with every bump. She had quite the goosegg -- which is a good thing, it's when they don't that you have to worry -- and I had quite the panic, but having the best pediatrician in the world got us through. Worst parenting moment EVER though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home