Friday, November 03, 2006

Songs My Mama Sang to Me

Hard to believe that yesterday it's been four years since my mother passed away. As much as she's missed, it seems like a lot longer.

The pain is lessened by the pace of life, but I wish my mother were here, for lots of good reasons. And as far as the music is concerned, I know there was a link somewhere in the songs she sang to the things that are driving me now. I will always wonder about that. At night she'd sing us these old songs, and all I can recall are fragments, but they sure didn't sound like anything we'd heard on the radio or the stereo or in school. Now I know they were old gospel tunes, and I know she didn't learn them at church. So where did she come from, where did she go? Forever a mystery.

This beautiful tune was a Louvin Brothers song, sung here by Cia and Sandy Cherryholmes. The voices of mother and daughter play off of each other beautifully and add meaning to the song's message. My mother didn't have the most beautiful voice in the world, but it was beautiful enough for us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home