Thursday, September 28, 2006

Feelin' Lucky? I Am

Over the last few weeks, I’ve come to appreciate how lucky I am. Lots of people wander in the wilderness for years, trying to figure out who they are and what they’re about. To feel such a strong connection with something the way I feel about music is really a gift.

This weekend my son and I will head to Nashville for just about the biggest and best Bluegrass industry event of the year, the International Bluegrass Music Association FanFest, trailing a week of seminars and workshops about the industry. It’s not so much a festival as a professional gathering. Geeky to some, perhaps, but hey, it’s not as geeky, and probably serves more of a purpose, than those Star Trek trade shows. ;-)

I love being at this event because I’m surrounded by a few thousand people who all love the same stuff. Having a sense of community is really important, even for those of us who are seriously introverted or just don’t like hanging around people. Being with other individuals who share your love of something creates a sense of belonging, a kind of safe place. The sense I enjoy from being part of IBMA has supplanted the feeling I had while I was part of La Leche League – surrounded by families who held the same values and did some of the same things in bringing up their babies that I felt compelled to do.

It’s about feeling compelled, too. I’m lucky I feel compelled toward not just a goal, but a dream.

I’m lucky that the work I do to put food on the table helps me to frame and expand what that dream looks like, because of the people and organizations I’m in touch with. Right now, I’m working for four different orchestras and in constant touch with wonderful talented people on three continents, all of whom speak the language of music and how important it is. This informs my thought process and helps me to navigate the waters with new information, different perspectives, and an eye toward the practices and people who someday may help me achieve the best possible outcome – for whatever it is I’m supposed to do.

That’s the hard part – not knowing precisely what that is. But it’s the exciting part, too. All the possibilities lay ahead, along with the opportunity to excite and inspire potential leaders and message bearers. And a lot of those folks will be at IBMA this weekend.

Yeah, I’m very, very, lucky.

4 Comments:

At September 30, 2006 9:29 AM, Blogger My Boring Best said...

You are very lucky, in many ways. Dreams and goals, they are both important. So many people that I know don't really have them; and they always seem a little down on the world.

You've gotta strive for something bigger than you are. It's good for the soul. And in doing so, the community you find will only spur you on to keep going. I've found that with my photography and the people I've met during the flickr photography shows and tours I've held in Cleveland.

Stick with those dreams and goals. And say hi to the little man.

Jim

 
At October 01, 2006 6:18 PM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

Hey you,
I appreciate this, and even more now that
Expose!Cleveland has taken off. As expected it was a great weekend full of folks who love bluegrass and traditional music. I even met up with a guy on the plane back who played in several bluegrass bands back when it was bigger around here. We're hoping there will be another golden era for bluegrass yet in Northeast Ohio. If we play it, they will come!

Hope the arm is healing.

Cheers,
MM

 
At October 02, 2006 8:32 PM, Blogger My Boring Best said...

Glad you had a good time and met some good people.

And you have the stuff to make that Bluegrass resurgence happen around here. All it takes is a little organization and a lot of drive; you have both.

Now, chop chop!

;-)

 
At October 02, 2006 9:47 PM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

LOL, "chop chop" -- good, very good! That's an intentional mando joke, right?

You gotta get to Nashville sometime. Brian Setzer plays around town every now and then, and it's a fun time down there. Bigger than life but not Texas. If you can stand the accents, you'd have a ball!

MM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home