Sunday, August 06, 2006

Prettiest Little Birthday Girl

My littlest one turned 6 just about three and a half hours ago. I think back on that early August morning six years ago, and recall it was just about the best moment of my life.

Birth ain't always easy or fun. This one, was. I had the support of a doula, and the company of my friends and my son, himself about to turn six at the time. My then husband had more room to do whatever he felt he needed to do because I had a trained birthing coach along for what turned out to be a very quiet, uneventful ride. Of course, it was the last time any of us really could associate "quiet and peaceful" with the little person who has become my daughter, but the peaceful, gentle way she slipped into the world surrounded by people ready to love her was glorious.

Sitting here as morning progresses, I am reminded how fast time really does fly. Sounds cliche, but those moments that are most important and most memorable so often are gone so quickly, and sometimes down the road in years are not as easily recalled as we might wish.

Ah. My daughter has appeared. Time to sing Happy Birthday and then whip up some birthday flapjacks.

For the rest of you, this little tune is one of her favorites, because of course she thinks it's about her. This track from Dirk Powell's Time Again recording features Jim Miller on vocals. It's really a sweet little tune, easy to sing, play, and get hooked on. I'm blessed that my kid likes a good string band. Easy enough, of course, if you're six and the song is one you can dance to and it's all about you.

Prettiest Little Girl In the County

Prettiest little girl in the county-oh
Walked right up and told her so

I'm gonna love her in the mornin'
I'm gonna love her in the evenin'
I'm gonna love her in the mornin'
I'm gonna love her in the evenin'

Prettiest little girl in the county-oh
All dressed up in calico

I'm gonna love her in the mornin'
I'm gonna love her in the evenin'
I'm gonna love her in the mornin'
I'm gonna love her in the evenin'


Swing 'em like you love 'em
Boys, you ain't above 'em

I'm gonna love her in the mornin'
I'm gonna love her in the evenin'
I'm gonna love her in the mornin'
I'm gonna love her in the evenin'


Prettiest little girl in the county-oh
Mammy and daddy both said so

I'm gonna love her in the mornin'
I'm gonna love her in the evenin'
I'm gonna love her in the mornin'
I'm gonna love her in the evenin'

2 Comments:

At August 06, 2006 9:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, life has not been so complacent, quiet, or boring with her in the world. Thanks for giving her to us.

 
At August 07, 2006 9:32 AM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

Aw, whoever you are, the pleasure's been mostly mine. Happy to share.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home