Saturday, June 17, 2006

Tubas, Mandos, Bill Gates, and Bruce


This is the prequel to a short and irregular series on The Springsteen Seeger Session phenomena. What brings this on? Thanks to a nudge, I found myself at Blossom last night, enjoying Springsteen and his 16 person Seeger Session Band from about the 15th row. Among the players was a guy who spent most of the night with a Tuba on his back, but who traded it for mando on a couple numbers. How does that happen?

And here's something to ponder, sort of in the spirit of my dear friend Shannon's random thoughts:

Bruce's version of Pay Me My Money Down contains the line,
Well I wish that I was Mr. Gates
Pay me my money down
Bring me my money all in crates
Pay me my money down.

Bill gates announced this week that he will retire in 2008 in order to concentrate on giving his money away.

WHAT a coinky-dinky!

Ponder that. I'm going to go enjoy the weather and try to think of a way to convey the experience of the show in less than 10 installments. Meanwhile, enjoy some video from the tour here courtesy of AOL. (Sorry, Mr. Gates.)

3 Comments:

At June 18, 2006 9:28 AM, Blogger Darkneuro said...

And whaddya wanna bet that Mr. Gates won't be givin' any money to anyone who buys the products he developed?

 
At June 19, 2006 6:07 PM, Blogger Mando Mama said...

Well, Neuro, I dunno. If you mean that, since he's been near-busted a few times for monopolizing the market, it would be a lot harder to find organizations that aren't already using his stuff, I'm guessing you're correct! That might even be one of the first criteria! Oh the life of a grantmaker to whom the rest of us willingly bow.

 
At June 24, 2006 1:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got to see the Boss on Conan O'Brien last night.

Wow.

And I STRONGLY recommend watching the CNN online interview while it's still easy to find.

When he talks about folk music, he sounds so MUCH like Tim O'Brien, it's scary. The Boss is conversant with Steve Earle, maybe he will hook Bruce up with Tim. now THAT would be an interesting collaboration!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home